Mandatory Blog: 1.
A
reflection of your own experiences of culture and identity in relation to
education
My schooling experience in the Blue
Mountains was shaped by my private education at the Catholic co-ed school, St.
Columba’s. When Ho (2011) posed the question in her study ‘Respecting the
Presence of Others: School Micropublics and Everyday Multiculturalism’, “So how
Culturally diverse are Australia’s Schools” (p.606) I couldn’t help but
recognise the limited culture exchange at my school and feel slightly ashamed
at the lack of multiculturalism. My experience of multiculturalism heightened
greatly as I found university to be the best sight for a ‘micropublic’ (p.605)
promoting cultural connectivity and exchange. My peer group diversified
ethnically and I was participating in cultural traditions that made me reflect
and grow my own sense cultural identity. It saddens me that this exchange had
not happened earlier in high school, as my Catholic school reiterated Ho’s
findings that “private schools are not structured to represent the full
diversity of society”(p.609). Reflecting on my schooling experience I am
unhappy that I did not contribute to Rizvi’s discourse of Cosmopolitanism
promoting the “greater need of intercultural understanding and communication”
(2008, p.111).
I found myself relating to McIntosh’s paper
of White privilege (1988) as she describes her school as giving her no training
in “seeing myself as an unfairly advantaged person” (p.2) and I reflect on this
being due to the lack of cultural diversity at my high school. In addition to
this I can now see myself being apart of the ‘white flight’ movement that
creates highly concentrated mono ethnic cultures (Ho p. 614). The reasoning for my concentrated ‘white’
culture of schooling was not due to a fear of migrant groups, but due to the
geographical location and population of the Blue Mountains. Through reading
Ho’s paper in a self-reflective context I think that even though my schooling
did not promote cultural exchange, which I think is a shame for the cultural
growth of its pupils, it did not hinder my ability to “understand and negotiate
cultural difference” (p.616). This is just my personal reflection; I cannot
speak on behalf of my classmates but I have not found that my experience of
mono cultural schooling has affected my ability to appreciate cross-cultural
communication in my life now.
Resources:
Rizvi, F. (2008) Education and it’s Cosmopolitan
possibilities, Transforming Learning in Schools and Communities, London,
Continual International Publishing Group, pp.102-114
Ho,
C 2011, ‘Respecting the presence of others: school micropublics and everyday
mutliculturailsm;, Journal of Intercutlrual Studies, pp605-615
McIntosh, P (1988) “White privilege and
male privilege: A personal Account of coming to see correspondences through
work in Women’s Studies, Wellesley College Centre for Research in Women p. 2
No comments:
Post a Comment