Saturday, October 13, 2012

Perspective on the Commodification of Education

The commodification of education is something that, in retrospect, I experienced throughout my entire high school education. The Kenway & Bullen (2001) reading ‘Consuming Children: education-entertainment-advertising’ sheds light on the way in which education as a social enrichment intertwines with education as a business enterprise. In my high school, there was a particular focus on skills in ICTs as an emerging and powerful resource for the workforce. Kenway & Bullen (2001) touch on this subject, commenting on the empowerment of women through this focus on ICTs as a means of preparing women for employment in high technology labour markets. This point can also provide a general ideal that subjects taught at school are skewed towards the demands from job opportunities in society. However, I observed that a students culture and upbringing played an influential role in the deciding what subjects to undertake. 

Having been taught in an all girls Catholic school, image is of profound importance.‘Masculine’ sports such as tackle football were avoided and etiquette both in and outside the classroom were endorsed. However, with that being said, subjects such as wood works, science and maths were just as heavily endorsed as textiles and design, hospitality and dance & drama. I recall my principal often calling out girls who were misbehaving outside of school, whilst wearing the school uniform, at assembly. The idea of the uniform promoting sameness and value is an example of how schools have become ‘obsessed with students’ appearance’ (Kenway & Bullen  2001, p.143). 

Examples of both the uniform and the range of subjects offered show that my high school was interested in both performing the role of shaping girls into women and also delivering the mantra that nothing is beyond limits and that gender should not play a part in what an individual can achieve. I believe that this is a great tactic employed by the school, as a business, because it addresses the fears that parents, especially mothers, have for their daughters. The fear is that females would be limited in their education due to the choices available in society. The choices available to students defied these fear. I personally felt this positive push from the school, never feeling as if I was limited by going to an all girls school. That being stated, the school most definitely played into the adult fantasy of education with a ‘return to particular educational traditions’ (Kenway & Bullen 2001, p.136). 

Religion, on the other hand, was very much central to all social activities throughout the school. Although I went to a Catholic school, as a student I was taught tolerance, understanding and respect for other religions which helped me adapt to university and wider society. Both the religious and social aspect can be identified in the vision statement of the school (http://www.msj.nsw.edu.au/Our-Community/Our-Vision/) which show both a working to the image and also emphasis the choice that needs to be made parents and students.   

References
Kenway, J & Bullen 2001, Consuming children: education-entertainment-advertising, Chapter 5: Designer Schools, packaged students, Open University Press, Buckingham

No comments:

Post a Comment